Kitchari: Healthy warm meal for winter
Kitchari – a wholesome meal
- Soaked (8hrs) split yellow lentils (mung dal) – ½ cup
- Red or white basmati rice: ½ cup
- Coconut oil: 2 tbsp
- Cinnamon stick: 1 inch
- Vegetable stock or water: 4 cups
- Ghee or coconut cream; 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds: 1½ tsp
- Fennel seeds: 1½ tsp
- Coriander powder; 1½ tsp
- Minced ginger: 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder: ½ tsp
- Fenugreek seeds: ½ tsp
- Black mustard seeds: ½ tsp
- Asafoetida: ¼ teaspoon
- Chopped peeled vegetables: any 3(butternut/ green beans / carrots/ sweet potato): 2 cups
- Fresh lime: ½
- Fresh coriander – ½ of a bunch
- Coconut yoghurt – 1tbsp
- Salt: to taste
- Heat coconut oil over medium heat, in a heavy-bottomed pot.
- Add black mustard seeds and cook for a few minutes to release aromatics, and until the mustard seeds have popped well. Add cumin, fennel, and fenugreek seeds
- Add the rest of the spices and stir for 1 minute.
- Add one cup of water / vegetable stock, followed by mung beans, cinnamon sticks, ghee, rice and vegetables.
- Then add the rest of the stock (or water) and 1 tsp of salt.
- Cover the lid and bring the liquid to boil, then reduce to a low heat. Simmer for about 40 minutes. (you may use a pressure cooker which takes less time)
- Check the pot periodically as the rice swells and may stick to the bottom. Add more water if needed
- A soupier consistency, and simmer longer to get a thicker stew.
- Serve with fresh coriander chopped and folded through, a drizzle of fresh lime juice, spoon of coconut
- Coconut yoghurt and salt to taste.
Tsp – teaspoon
Tbsp: table spoon